From: Chad Huneycutt <chadh@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Custom profiles
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 12:52:38
1 Cedric Veilleux wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > What is the most elegant way to use a custom profile in portage?
6 >
7 > Emerge rsync will delete it if I place it under /usr/portage right? If I
8 > change the symbolic link in /etc/make.profile to point to another
9 > directory,
10 > would it cause eventual problems? Would updates to baselayout and such
11 > replace /etc/make.profile back to /usr/portage/profiles?
14 Once you get past rsync blasting your updates to a profile (using one of
15 the methods you suggested), there is a problem with customized updates.
16 The problem is that no notification is made when changes are made to
17 the profiles. For instance, recently, I started getting errors from
18 portage that no unmasked gcc existed in portage. It turns out that the
19 version specified explicitly (*=...) in my packages file had been
20 removed from portage. A simple e-mail anytime profiles are touched
21 would really be helpful.
25 Chad Huneycutt
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list