From: Dennis Schridde <devurandom@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding USE=udev to linux profiles
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 21:11:35
1 On Tuesday, 24 July 2018 20:57:09 CEST Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 2:32 PM Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
3 > > I don't think the process needs to be simplified much more than this;
4 > > each layer above has its purpose. However I do very much want to
5 > > caution on making it more complicated, especially with the addition of
6 > > syntax that allows setting or ignoring useflag state changes in a way
7 > > that will jumble up these layers.
8 >
9 > I think as long as it is a heirarchy it will be straightforward enough.
10 >
11 > If we introduce a ^ operator that unsets a flag, the only question is
12 > how far that propagates down the layers, and into what kinds of
13 > layers:
14 >
15 > Does a profile ^flag undo an IUSE +flag?
16 > Does a make.conf ^flag undo a profile +flag? An IUSE +flag? A
17 > profile flag mask?
18 > Does a package.use ^flag undo a make.conf +flag? A profile +flag, an
19 > IUSE +flag? Etc...
20
21 I guess the question here is: Is there an official order in which the use
22 settings from the different profiles and config files have to be applied?
23
24 I think my initial assumption of this order was wrong, USE flags only have two
25 states and indeed it seems that the ^ USE operator is not necessary, because
26 the - operator already serves the same purpose.
27
28 Thus the other proposal of adding a new server profile and enabling USE=udev
29 for that and the desktop profiles would be sufficient to provide good
30 defaults, but still allow people to not use that profile, if they don't want
31 to. I.e. they could just use the 17.0 release profile and create their own
32 minimal-server profile based on that.
33
34 --Dennis