From: Dominik Westner <lists@×××××××××××.com>
To: Michael Monsen <gentoo@××××××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-user@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrade, course of action.
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 07:29:03
1 It should work out of the box for the Athlon. You might need to do the
2 usual stuff when you get new hardware, compile new kernel ... ;-)
3
4 If you want to have a Athlon optimizied system (should be worth when
5 using gcc-3.x ... at least people tell me), you can have a look at:
6
7 http://gentoo.zhware.net/fuq.html
8
9 which mentions a couple of methods how to recompile your whole system.
10
11 Btw. I use the following for my Athlon XP 1800:
12
13 CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
14 CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -mmmx -msse -m3dnow -mfpmath=sse
15 -fomit-frame-pointer -O3 -Wall -pipe"
16 CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -mmmx -msse -m3dnow -mfpmath=sse
17 -fomit-frame-pointer -O3 -Wall -pipe"
18
19 with gcc-3.2.
20
21 Greetings