From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: council@g.o, qa@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] rfc: backward-incompatible changes in eclasses
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 18:23:54
1 Hey all,
2
3 it has been brought to my attention that there have been several
4 backward-incompatible changes made to the python eclasses lately.
5
6 It is true that everything in ::gentoo has been fixed along with the
7 changes to the eclasses; however, when a change like this goes into a
8 widely used eclass it breaks overlays with little to no notice;
9 especially since we do not require developers to be subscribed to this
10 mailing list.
11
12 I do agree that overlay authors are on their own to fix things, but we need to
13 find a way to notify them when a breaking change is going into a widely
14 used eclass and give them time to adjust their ebuilds.
15
16 If the old way of doing things cannot be supported
17 along side the new way the correct path forward is a new version of the
18 eclass then a lastrites on the old version. That would give overlay
19 authors time to switch to the new eclass.
20
21 If the old and new way can be supported in the same code base, a
22 reasonable way forward is to allow both ways to exist while ::gentoo is
23 migrated to the new code path then do the equivalent of a lastrites for
24 the old code path so overlay authors can adjust their ebuilds.
25
26 Thoughts?
27
28 William