From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Help testing ebuilds? golang/Fabio load balancer
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 13:43:17
1 W dniu nie, 12.11.2017 o godzinie 07∶53 -0500, użytkownik Michael
2 Orlitzky napisał:
3 > On 11/11/2017 02:26 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > > >
5 > > > As far as the actual implementation goes, I'm not sure that
6 > > > automatically-generated ".keep" files are better than having the package
7 > > > manager maintain its own database. The latter would be more complex, but
8 > > > would avoid littering everyone's filesystems with ".keep" files.
9 > >
10 > > Do you care enough to spec this properly, introduce EAPI-conditional
11 > > behavior for it and prepare patches for the package managers?
14 > Some day -- I'll add it to my list. For now I'll update the docs to
15 > explain why you should use keepdir, and do a QA warning for empty
16 > directories.
17
18 I'm not convinced a QA warning is valid, given that not every empty
19 directory is meaningful. You're going to either cause people to create
20 unnecessary 'keepdir's, or to be swamped by false positives.
21
22 > Then how does this sound for EAPI=next?
23 >
24 > * Ban keepdir.
25 >
26 > * Have portage call its keepdir code on any empty directories in $D
27 > between src_install and pkg_preinst.
28
29 How does this account for /run and other non-persistent locations?
30
31 > * Update the devmanual and portage documentation to suggest dodir
32 > instead of keepdir in the new EAPI.
33 >
34 > * Change the PMS to remove "undefined behavior" and replace it with
35 > "empty directories must be tracked, and may only be removed once no
36 > installed package is using them," or something along those lines.
37 > That leaves the implementation up to the PM.
38
39 ...and makes interoperability between different package managers
40 impossible, defeating the purpose of PMS in the first place.
43 Best regards,
44 Michał Górny