From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: useflag policies
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 13:40:21
1 On 08/12/2015 12:21 AM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 23:30:31 +1000
3 > Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
4 >> I invite you to reproduce the problem yourself then make the
5 >> judgement. Using REQUIRED_USE like this makes the affected packages
6 >> unusable.
7 >
8 > Can't we all (except for the usual suspect) just agree that REQUIRED_USE
9 > was a mistake, and go back to pkg_pretend? The only justification for
10 > REQUIRED_USE was that it could allegedly be used in an automated
11 > fashion, and this hasn't happened.
14 I'm starting to see the light. USE flags and their
15 combinations/conflicts are almost always package- if not
16 ebuild-specific. The problem isn't that REQUIRED_USE forces me to do
17 something, it's that portage will only ever be able to output 45 pages
18 of garbage rather than telling me how to fix it (which again, depends on
19 the package/ebuild).
20
21 At the very least, we need to be able to tag REQUIRED_USE conflicts with
22 human readable error messages. OK, so I know I can't have USE="qt4 qt5"
23 for this package... but why? How do I fix it? We can do that with
24 pkg_pretend and a bunch of "if" statements, or maybe there's value in
25 having the requirements in a variable -- who knows. The former is a lot
26 simpler to implement.