From: jano <jano@××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage 1.8.1 released
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 15:40:33
1 Hello, emerge update completed successfully, and was fairly uneventful.
2
3 Only thing I had to do was unmerge sys-apps/textutils and sys-apps/fileutils
4 to keep out an error message from emerge (--verbose pointed in right
5 direction).
6 Would it be a good idea to now unmerge to old packages? Or is it safe to
7 leave them? I'm wondering whether there might be a lib or two left over.
8
9 > Hi All,
10 >
11 > Portage 1.8.1 has been released, which now includes working "emerge
12 > update" functionality. "emerge update" allows you to keep your key
13 > Gentoo Linux system packages fully up-to-date. To use it, first type
14 > "emerge --pretend update" to see what it will do. Then type "emerge
15 > update" to actually perform the updates.
16 >
17 > Emerge update is a great way to keep key packages like e2fsprogs, glibc
18 > and others fully up-to-date. It will not cause non-essential packages
19 > like GNOME to be automatically upgraded, but I will be adding that
20 > functionality soon -- by adding an "emerge everything" (name not
21 > finalized yet) mode.
22 >
23 > Best Regards,
24 >