From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Uppercase characters in package names
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 19:38:51
1 On Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 07:47:01PM +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 13:02:48 -0500
3 > Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > The devmanual states:
6 > >
7 > > The name section should contain only lowercase non-accented letters,
8 > > the digits 0-9, hyphens, underscores and plus characters. Uppercase
9 > > characters are strongly discouraged, but technically valid.
10 > >
11 > > https://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/file-format/index.html
14 > > Why are uppercase characters strongly discouraged?
15 > >
16 > > Wouldn't it make sense to follow upstream's naming convention?
17 >
18 > I'd say keeping things lowercase makes sense for end user packages. For
19 > pure dependencies with consistent conventions (e.g. perl), it makes
20 > sense to keep upstream's naming.
21
22 I'm not advocating renaming this, but I found an example of this when
23 looking to package something:
24
25 dev-python/configargparse is called ConfigArgParse upstream.
26 If we had named it dev-python/ConfigArgParse, we wouldn't need to set
27 MY_PN, MY_P or S in our ebuild, and I wouldn't have had to check the
28 package to see if it was the same as the package I need to depend on.
29
30 William