From: Jeff Kowing <jeffrey.d.kowing@××××.gov>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] ebuild vs makefile
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 15:47:08
1 I have a question concerning when should building/installation
2 commands go directly into an ebuild vs. when should it be put into a
3 Makefile (using a patch if a Makefile for the package already exists).
4
5 The question comes up because I've been trying to create an ebuild for
6 xmlto (a very nice frontend wrapper tool to simplify processing
7 docbook to pdf,html,ps). This got me looking at the passivetex-1.4
8 ebuild which creates a Makefile (there is no Makefile with the
9 passivetex distribution) to do creation of directories and simple
10 copying of source files to the destination. The Makefile contains
11 'mkdir' and 'cp' like commands that I would have normally thought
12 would best go directly into the ebuild itself.
13
14 On the otherhand, by creating/patching the Makefile, I can see that it
15 might have the benefit of going back upstream to the creator of the
16 package itself which would simplify creating an ebuild/deb/rpm for all
17 distributions for later releases.
18
19 Anyways, I wondered if some of the ebuild gurus would share their
20 thoughts or general rules of thumb for when to do it in the ebuild
21 vs. when to do it by patching or creating a Makefile.
22
23 Thanks.
24
25 By the way, I mention the passivetex ebuild only to give a concrete
26 example. I am very grateful to the passivetex ebuild creators and
27 thank them for their contribution!
30 Jeff Kowing
31 jeffrey.d.kowing@××××.gov
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list