From: Matthew Schulkind <mschulkind@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage Subcategory Capabilities?
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 05:47:40
1 > This has been brought up before in the past and been shot down, but I'll humor
2 > you. If support for this were to be added into Portage, there would be a few
3 > things to think about:
4 >
5 > 1) this will cause a performance hit no matter how it is done
6 > 2) how will Portage know the difference between a package and another
7 > sub-category when it is walking the tree? It could do something like walking
8 > all the way to the end of the category/sub-category/sub-category tree until
9 > it finds .ebuild files and then backing up a level or 2 to determine the
10 > category, but again this would cause an enormous performance hit due to the
11 > additional required I/O.
12 > 3) the many additional directories would cause an 'emerge sync' to take
13 > longer than it does now.
14 >
15 > Basically, you'd be pissing everyone off with little benefit (except maybe to
16 > developer sanity). Keep in mind that I probably have absolutely no idea what I'm
17 > talking about and nothing I say should be accepted as fact without verifying it
18 > elsewhere.
19 >
20 > --
21 > Andrew Gaffney
22 > Network Administrator
23 > Skyline Aeronautics, LLC.
24 > 636-357-1548
25 >
26 > --
27 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
31 Why does this necessarily have to change the portage directory structure?
32
33 I think this is a good idea to, but why not implement a secondary
34 browsing interface which could use these categories and just map to
35 ebuilds. With this strategy, even if a package fell into two
36 categories, it could be put into both. This could also lead to any
37 number of more pretty features.
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list