From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] repo/gentoo:master commit in: eclass/
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 23:19:45
1 On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 6:46 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > Committing without testing, as long as you don't push, is fine, even
4 > meritorious. It's the push that uploads those commits to the gentoo
5 > reference repo, however, and testing should *definitely* be done before
6 > pushing, with more commits /before/ the push to fix what the tests found
7 > to be broken, should they be necessary.
10 Of course. In fact, this is often the type of workflow you'd tend to
11 employ in a CI setup. I believe that pull requests submitted on
12 github get automatically tinderboxed, though I have no idea whether
13 that provides any benefits to something like an eclass (if the CI
14 script just tests the ebuilds being modified it obviously would not).
15 Maybe in a perfect world we'd actually have a CI testing package
16 category with dummy packages that do nothing but run tests to cover
17 this sort of thing.
18
19 Even so, I would imagine that in most organizations CI is intended
20 more as a sanity check than a substitute for testing your own work.
21 Certainly where I work the expectation is that somebody would have at
22 least compiled and run something before putting it into some kind of
23 QA workflow, even with CI.
26 Rich