From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 15:09:23
1 On Tuesday 03 February 2004 15:41, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 12:04:59PM +0200 or thereabouts, Dan Armak wrote:
3 > > A real separate cvs branch seems like a lot of extra work; most updates
4 > > going into the stable branch will probably also go into the main tree.
5 > > What am I missing?
6 >
7 > A key part of the GLEP is ensuring that ebuilds stay in the tree for a
8 > minimum of one year. As has been proven time and time again, we don't have
9 > the necessary QA or control over our current tree to offer this feature, so
10 > I felt it was betetr implemented by offering a separate tree.
11
12 I've just heard more details on irc about the ebuild deletion problem. I have
13 to say it gives me a very unpleasant feeling that we can't trust our devs not
14 to delete necessary files (in this case, any files with stable keywords, very
15 easy to check). And we're also accepting the fact that the main tree gets
16 broken in this way once in a while. That's bad, regardless of the stable tree
17 issue.
20 > Also, with one tree, we cannot offer atomic updates to our users. That is
21 > to say, with one tree, there would have to be some period of time where the
22 > stable tree was 'in flux' as devs went through and marked new ebuilds
23 > stable. With a separate tree, devs have an entire quarter where they can
24 > mark things stable at their leisure. Then, at a pre-defined date, we pull
25 > those ebuilds and can offer one, consistent tree to those folks who want
26 > the stable branch.
27
28 We could use ~stable for the flux period, and mark a bunch of ~stable stuff as
29 stable atomically.
30
31 > As for your question on transition, for 95% of all stable ebuilds, the path
32 > should be:
33 >
34 > ~arch --> arch --> stable:arch
35 >
36 > ~stable is there primarily for off-cycle updates. If we need to issue a
37 > GLSA and updated ebuild with very little testing, it would be included in
38 > the stable tree marked as ~stable:arch. Then, after 'adequate' testing, it
39 > would be moved to stable:arch
40
41 ~stable as staging/temp area makes sense, more so than yet another level of
42 stability. Sounds good.
43
44 > In terms of what constitutes 'stable', that will largely be left up to the
45 > herd and/or package maintainer. Remember, 'stable' refers more to the fact
46 > that the tree itself does not change, rather than the ebuilds themselves
47 > being more stable. (This is another example of something that may change
48 > down the road once we improve our QA efforts)
49
50 On reading the GLEP again I see that it says just this. Looking at other