From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: lu_zero@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Global Systemd USE Flag
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 11:23:21
1 On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 6:01 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 11:20:52 +0200
3 > Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Forking udev hadn't been considered mostly just on that premise.
5 >
6 > So someone should just *finally* fork it, rather than talking about it
7 > all the time.
10 ++
11
12 If the sky actually starts falling there are things we can do about
13 it. Until then, running around yelling about it isn't terribly
14 productive. There is this great fear about what udev MIGHT do. Well,
15 if they do it then lots of of people will fork it if systemd isn't
16 universally embraced as the ultimate init replacement.
17
18 However, right now everybody is worried about a future that may or may
19 not happen, or which may or may not be welcomed with open arms by the
20 time it does.
21
22 In the meantime I imagine most Gentoo packages will at least ship
23 openrc init scripts, if they bother to ship init scripts at all.
24 There isn't any requirement that packages have them, afaik, so if
25 somebody ships a systemd unit but not an openrc script let's be
26 careful about pulling out the pitchforks. :)
27
28 Rich