From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] more up to date minimal install cd
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 20:50:24
1 Cory Visi wrote:
2 > In addition, I don't see a huge drawback to using other distro's LiveCDs.
3
4 I tried to install a system with a marvell pata drive, no livecd I know
5 of managed to run because they couldn't find the cdrom. the system was
6 to be installed using debian and had windows installed, the debian.exe
7 got really handy (btw what about having one for gentoo or a generic one?)
8
9 > Some distros specialize in making a LiveCD do everything possible, like
10 > Knoppix. This group isn't maintaining a portage tree, they are just making
11 > their LiveCD awesome. Why not piggyback on their efforts (our users are
12 > doing it anyway)? That way we can focus our resources on making portage
13 > great, which is Gentoo's true strength.
14
15 well gentoo livecd usually run on many more systems, our infrastructure
16 let us have fresher stuff than others. a 2007.0 snapshot would have
17 worked out of box.
18
19 >
20 > With Gentoo, once you are up and running, releases become very
21 > unimportant. What do you think?
22 >
23
24 that first you have to be up and running... so release early & often
25 minimal livecd please =P
26
27 lu
28