From: Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] gentoo-x86 migration to repo-per-package
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2011 20:43:22
1 On 06/08/11 16:13, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > There probably are drawbacks to this system as well. I, however, only
3 > see big advantages for the moment.
4 > Comments, thoughts, ideas welcome.
5
6 To be honest I don't like that idea. I don't see any benefits from doing so:
7 - history per package - huh? git log for specific path/file works, pulling all
8 the history for whole repository is one-time thing, does not happen often,
9 Nirbheek already pointed out some history-sharing issues
10
11 - tree generation is dynamic - actually I think this is a disadvantage, it has
12 a nice potential to eat a lot of resources on master rsync server, also having
13 different "flavours" of the tree only brings in added complexity
14
15 - per package branches - I like overlays, I couldn't care less about branches
16 for single packages :)
17
18 So:
19 - having it all in single repository means that I need to care only about one
20 thing, not around 14956 of them
21 - git was designed to be efficient with large repositories, use this ability
22 - KISS
25 Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael at gentoo.org> key id: 0xF6A80E46
26 desktop-misc, java, vim, kernel, python, apache...