From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 00:13:06
1 On 01/21/2012 03:45 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > Zac Medico wrote:
3 >> On 01/21/2012 01:34 PM, Dale wrote:
4 >>> Michał Górny wrote:
5 >>>>> It's funny how I never needed one before either but now things are
6 >>>>> being broken. It's not LVM that is breaking it either. I wouldn't
7 >>>>> need the initramfs even if It was on a regular partition until the
8 >>>>> recent so called "improvements."
9 >>>>
10 >>>> ...and your main argument is 'long, long ago someone decided that it
11 >>>> should match the same taste as mine, so it should be like it forever'.
12 >>>> Of course, those times there were no such thing as an initramfs...
13 >>>>
14 >>>
15 >>>
16 >>> Then don't break that. Just because someone came up with a initramfs
17 >>> doesn't mean everyone should be forced to use one.
18 >>
19 >> The old way imposes requirements that are no longer supported by
20 >> upstream software. So, you basically have three choices:
21 >>
22 >> 1) Use old software that supports the old way
23 >> 2) Develop new software to support the old way
24 >> 3) Use an initramfs or pre-init script to mount /usr if it must be on
25 >> a separate partition
28 > So the solution is to break things because things are broken.
29
30 Well, option 2 means that people have to step up write software that
31 supports the old way. For most people, option 3 is probably the most
32 practical route.
33 --
34 Thanks,
35 Zac