From: Mounir Lamouri <volkmar@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>, dberkholz@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-soc] Re: [gsoc-status] portage backend for PackageKit
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 17:11:04
1 Hi,
2
3 New weekly report via answer to Arne.
4 This week wasn't the most productive I had. Mostly because of the ebuild
5 work which take easily hours (yes, I should use ccache) and because of
6 the summer and good weather.
7 But, now, you can test my work and blame me, that should make everyone
8 happy ! :)
9
10 Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
11 >> - configuration file update
12 >>
13 > In the means of "cfg-update -u" or similar?
14 >
15 [snip]
16 > (sorry if I sound dumb, just want to be sure I didn't misunderstand) does that
17 > mean that you'll be adding the config updating stuff to packagekit, so we'll
18 > have a cross-distro way of telling the package manager to update the configs?
19 >
20 Actually, this is going to be harder than excepted. Not technically
21 speaking but it looks like people (backend/packagekit dev) want
22 different things.
23 So, in a first time, I'm going to show only a message about
24 configuration files updated then I will take some time to discuss with
25 devs and fix a specification.
26 It looks like it will be an internal tool that will update configuration
27 files but possible actions and how to interact have to be defined.
28 So it will be a cross-distro way of updating configuration files.
29
30 > Could you post the ebuild in here?
31 >
32 Good news is the ebuilds are now available in the gnome overlay. Why
33 gnome overlay ? because they have polkit-0.93 and I needed the new
34 polkit version. I've updated 0.5.1 version (last release) and live ebuild.
35 0.5.1 should be ok for testing now because the release wasn't done long
36 ago and since I mostly worked on packagekit build system and ebuild.
37 If you found issues, please, send me a private email or open a bug but
38 better not flooding ml.
39
40 > I wanted to test KPackageKit since I saw it in Kubuntu :)
41 >
42 > - http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php/KPackageKit?content=84745
43 >
44 I'm going to write an ebuild for gnome-packagekit. It's surely the best
45 way to test packagekit because it's developed by the same guy. If anyone
46 wants a KPackageKit ebuild, I can help but not write it.
47
48 > I don't know if I'll manage to grab enough time to do real testing, but I'll
49 > try.
50 >
51 Even small feedbacks are welcome ;)
52 PackageKit should be tested with a GUI but as I have not released a
53 gnome-packagekit ebuild, you have two ways to test it:
54 - use pkcon which is a CLI client to packagekit but really basic like if
55 you want to install foo package, it will install it and dependencies
56 without telling you if you accept them. For 'atomic' tests, it's the
57 best way of doing.
58 - build yourself gnome-packagekit shouldn't be hard at all ;)
59
60 So, this week, I will add a ACCEPT_PROPERTIES feature to portage. I was
61 thinking of filtering interactive PROPERTIES in my backend but zac told
62 me he was planning to add this feature. It should be available soon (one
63 or two days) and the gnome-packagekit ebuild will be the next step. So,
64 you should have it in two or three days. Depends on the difficulty. If
65 the build system is clean as the PackageKit one was, it will be hard and
66 I've no commit access to gnome-packagekit unfortunately.
67
68 Thanks,
69 Mounir