From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New global USE flag: logrotate
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 18:59:22
1 On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 10:44 -0700, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 09:36:54AM +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > > What about the unused `ebuild [ebuild] config`? Isn't that the perfect place
4 > > for this sort of stuff? The only package that I know that uses this feature
5 > > is mysql. There are way more possibilities.
6 > No, ebuild config shouldn't be abused like this. Say I have an existing
7 > install of mysql, and the package maintainer puts in an updated
8 > logrotate.d file. Running 'ebuild mysql.ebuild config' is meant for NEW
9 > installations only, and it doesn't enable me to take advantage of
10 > CONFIG_PROTECT. I've seen a package where running the config phase when
11 > the package is already set up blows away your existing config. It gives
12 > you a warning first, but how would I then get an updated logrotate.d
13 > file?
14
15 Ehh, actually this got kinda hijacked and we were kinda discussing
16 something else, as spyderous was talking about providing a package with
17 configuration files and other such files. We diverged a bit saying how
18 config should be used more, but I know that at least *I* wasn't talking
19 about for things like logrotate files, but rather for actually
20 configuring a package.
21
22 > I see only two viable options.
23 > - Unconditional, use INSTALL_MASK, no RDEPEND on logrotate
24 > - Conditional on USE=logrotate
25 >
26 > The first one is what is generally used in the tree so far.
29 Chris Gianelloni
31 Games - Developer
32 Gentoo Linux