From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: automatically mailing people on pkgcheck problems with their packages
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2015 02:20:05
1 On 12/7/15 7:27 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 7:05 PM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3 >> 2) Unclear ownership of the problem. One guy makes a commit, 100 packages
4 >> break. Who is responsible? Its really murky. This is really the toughest
5 >> problem to me.
6 > It isn't murky at all. Nobody should ever commit something that
7 > simply breaks something else. Sometimes it is unforseen, and that
8 > might be ok if it is rare, but the committer can still go and revert
9 > their commit and sort things out.
10
11 Does that include stuff that breaks on systems using musl instead of
12 glibc? Or uclibc? or eudev instead of udev. What about openrc vs
13 systemd? Shall I go on? Of course its murky. If you disagree, I'll be
14 more than happy to pull out dozens of emails where people object when
15 their stuff breaks other people's stuff with the infamous "why should we
16 support that shit?"
17
18 Anyhow, if the emails are easily filter or have an easy out, I see no
19 problem. Murky or not.
22 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
23 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
24 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
25 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
26 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA