From: Stefan Jones <cretin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] revdep-rebuild
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 04:18:49
1 Stefan Jones wrote:
2
3 >So I have started making a small C program which does the
4 >"Checking dynamic linking consistency..." part of the revdep-rebuild
5 >program (I think this the the most time intensive part).
6 >
7 >This program can then be called by the script.
8 >
9 >So far all I see the program needing to do is
10 >read /root/.revdep-rebuild.1_files and
11 >use /root/.revdep-rebuild.2_ldpath as the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
12 >and write any bad files to /root/.revdep-rebuild.3_rebuild
17 I have finished doing the above for linux/glibc, it can be found at
18 http://dev.gentoo.org/~cretin/revdep-rebuild.tar.bz2
19
20 I just made a small C-program to check the dependencies, it uses
21 ld-linux.so.2 check if the file is an ELF and then to check if it's
22 libraries are present.
23
24 For other archs you can use present system or do something else, the
25 original revdep-rebuild script is still used, just a bit is cut out and
26 uses the binary instead, so other archs can use the old code easily.
27
28 The speed up is quite noticeable:
29 ( see results.txt in the tarball )
30
31 Now we have:
32 real 0m46.803s
33 user 0m4.544s
34 sys 0m41.075s
35
36 Instead of:
37 real 8m12.674s
38 user 0m20.569s
39 sys 7m41.593s
40
41 for revdep-rebuild --keep-temp -i -- -p
42
43 Anyway, this is really proof of concept only, can do another version
44 using scanelf using a list from another source of all available system
45 libraries (ldconfig -p on linux)
46
47 Stefan
48 --