From: Dmitry Yu Okunev <dyokunev@××××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Referencing bug reports in git (WAS: Re: [gentoo-commits] repo/gentoo:master commit in: sci-libs/opencascade/)
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 06:57:14
1 Hello.
2
3 I'm not a gentoo-dev, so sorry if I shouldn't express my thoughts with
4 my lame English here. Please tell me if it's so.
5
6 On 08/11/2015 12:06 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
7 >>>>>> 3. Too many text, hard to read. Some bugs may refer to a dozen of
8 >>>>>> URLs.
9 >>>>>
10 >>>>> And how is a dozen numbers better?
11 >>>>
12 >>>> Less text, more readable.
13 >>>
14 >>> How is:
15 >>>
16 >>> Bug: 123451, 453445, 344334, 343444
17 >>>
18 >>> more readable than:
19 >>>
20 >>> Bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/123451
21 >>> Bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/453445
22 >>> Bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/344334
23 >>> Bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/343444
24 >>>
25 >>> Readability is a matter of formatting, not contents.
26 >>
27 >> 1. One line and 35 chars are certainly more readable than four lines
28 >> and 140 chars.
29 >
30 > Character counts are completely irrelevant to readability. Visual space
31 > is. And in this case, exhibit A (also known as wall of digits) is more
32 > likely to get people confused.
33
34 I think it's just individual preference. No sense to argue this. Just
35 everybody should consider that there exists another position on this
36 question.
37
38 However I want to add an other argument:
39
40 1a. It's easier to parse the "Bug:" header is there only bug IDs
41 (without URLs).
42
43 And is there any guarantee that URL format won't be changed in future
44 (that everybody won't be have to rewrite their parsers). I mean not
45 "near future", but "any long future".
46
47 >> 2. Strings are read from left to right (at least in English), thus
48 >> having most important information last on the line is not
49 >> convenient.
50 >
51 > This is not literature. Keys usually precede values, and namespaces
52 > precede namespaced identifiers.
53
54 A commit-comment is not a source code. It's an ordinary text (like
55 "literature").
56
57 >> 3. A lot of duplicated and useless information consumes time and
58 >> space, irritating people.
59 >
60 > Well, maybe I'm very special then because I can *instantly* notice that
61 > the four quoted lines are almost identical and differ only by bug
62 > numbers.
63
64 Yes. But as for me this duplicated text adds a lot of garbage to the
65 total text of a comment. It's harder to fast look over it. You were
66 right — "Visual space" does matter.
67
68 And Andrew said "useless information" — I agree.
69
70 >> 4. Think about people using special accessibility devices like
71 >> speech-to-text engine or Braille terminal. It will be pain for them
72 >> to read all this notorious URLs. And we have at least one developer
73 >> relying upon such devices.
74 >
75 > And that's the first valid argument. Though I would doubt that
76 > accessibility software handles random numbers better than URLs. Unless
77 > you consider retyping one of the six numbers you just heard easier than
78 > triggering some kind of URL activation feature.
79
80 I remember that William Hubbs asked me to remove one very simple
81 ASCII-arted scheme (that explains how the code works) from a patch,
82 because it's very inconvenient to listen that stuff using speech-to-text
83 engines. May be somebody should just ask him for his opinion on this
84 question? I think it's more convenient to listen pure bug IDs rather
85 than a lot of full URLs.
86
87 >>>> What is a corner case? Why not defining "clicking on the link in
88 >>>> the git log" as a corner case?
89 >>>
90 >>> As far as I'm aware, URLs are supported much more widely than
91 >>> Gentoo-specific bug numbers. They are uniform and unique by definition.
92 >>> The tools using bug numbers can be easily expanded to extract them from
93 >>> URLs. I don't really see forking cgit to support Gentoo bug numbers, or
94 >>> asking github to provide special rules for our commits.
95 >>
96 >> We should not adjust our ecosystem for closed and proprietary
97 >> solutions like github.
98 >
99 > URLs are not github invention. Localized bug numbers are local Gentoo
100 > non-sense. So should we adjust it to ignore the rest of the world and
101 > expect everyone to create custom hackery just to be able to see a bug
102 > report?
103
104 You can use header "Gentoo-Bug:" (instead of "Bug:") and explain in
105 documentation ways to parse that.
108 Best regards, Dmitry.