From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New Python application with multiple new dependencies
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2019 20:58:47
1 On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 8:44 AM Ralph Seichter <gentoo@××××××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > * Michał Górny:
4 >
5 > > I presume you want to proxy-maintain all of those packages.
6 >
7 > I would want to maintain the "monty" application because it offers
8 > functionality useful to me. I'm not particularly keen on maintaining
9 > Python ebuilds required as dependencies by only one application.
10
11 Speaking on behalf of the python team, we are not particularly keen on
12 maintaining libraries that are only used by a single package. We have
13 too many packages to care for already.
14
15 > Like everybody else, I have only a finite amount of time I can spend on
16 > Gentoo packages. I usually start with a separate venv for Python apps so
17 > I can "pip install ..." and make do without ebuilds.
18
19 This is actually the approach I would suggest for most applications.
20 Not everything needs to be handled in an ebuild; often it just
21 increases the amount of busy work you end up doing.