From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] preference concerns over "gentoo-ization" of packages
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 14:27:06
1 On Sunday 28 September 2003 15:56, foser wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 15:41, Jason Wever wrote:
3 >
4 > I don't think USE flags should be used here. One way should be good
5 > enough for all. If you can't justify the changes well enough, they
6 > shouldn't go in. Supporting different ebuild build 'paths' with
7 > consequent different outcomes is not an option in my opinion.
8 >
9 > USE flags should be switches to already existing ebuild options, making
10 > them do 'this, that and the other thing' too is confusing and solves
11 > nothing. Clarity and simplicity should be our goals. The transparency of
12 > the process is what made Gentoo attractive, I see that initial goal slip
13 > away more and more.
14
15 I think that there are many customizations that improve the user experience,
16 but that also more or less break the standard. Here I don't mean defaults
17 that make the package work out-of-the-box, but for example themes. While I
18 like the gentoo theme for gdm, I think there should be a way to say you don't
19 what that kind of customization.
20
21 I think such a flag should be used in all cases where a customization is
22 applied and the following statements apply:
23 - The package's behaviour, looks or configuration are different from the
24 default behaviour and this behaviour was not just enabled by the patch (but
25 latent in the package)
26 - The package does not conform anymore to its documentation. (In this case the
27 changes MUST be documented) Except in places like init scripts that are not
28 going to work for anything else then redhat.
29 - Aditional features (not bugfixes) are included by patches for use in some
30 ebuilds (like dropshadows for kde). Even if those features are invisible, as
31 they break compatibility and possibly cause instability.
32 - there are probably other cases
33
34 Paul
37 Paul de Vrieze