From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 16:05:26
1 On 28 July 2014 03:52, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Why? Is this about removing an unused dependency?
4 >
5 > > 3. Gentoo simply tweaks the ebuild and doesn't bump [A]
6 >
7 > What is "[A]?" What ebuild was tweaked, and how was it tweaked?
10 Here, "A" is the derived version of the ebuild of "Foo" the user installed,
11 in the present dynamic deps situation.
12
13 That is, Although user and tree have the same $PVR value, one has different
14 DEPENDS, and my impression based on past discussions is in that scenario,
15 the DEPENDS from /usr/portage/ take preceidence over VDB.
16
17 Though perhaps it depends on your definition of "used". If your definition
18 of "used" is "other things in portage needs it", then this case is
19 satisfied by it being "used" by the world file.
20
21 Users will likely know in such a scenario that they are "using" a thing
22 that is no longer in tree, but if it no longer being "in tree" changes how
23 its dependencies resolve for the worse.
24
25 *Most* examples of this you will see will be resolved by pkgmoves munging
26 the installed dependencies in VDB to cease to be broken.
27
28 I guess, in a way, pkgmove and dynamic deps are the same problem from
29 different perspectives.
30
31 pkgmove is an instruction that "set( X ) that requires Y needs to change"
32
33 and dynamic deps are "X requires set ( Y ) and needs to change."
34
35 Just in the case of the former, the effect is made permanent as part of the
36 sync, and in the case of the latter ( based on my understanding ) the
37 effect is temporary ( bounded by the lifetime of the ebuild in /usr/portage
38 ) and resolved at runtime for each and every merge ....
39
40 ( Do correct me if I'm wrong about this )
47 Kent
48
49 *KENTNL* - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL