From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Keywordreqs and slacking arch teams
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 11:40:31
1 On Sun, 29 Dec 2019 00:27:36 +1300
2 Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, 28 Dec 2019 11:14:15 +0000
5 > Michael 'veremitz' Everitt <gentoo@×××××××.xyz> wrote:
6 >
7 > > I know I'm gonna be shot down in flames, because $heresy, but here is where
8 > > a package 'database' would actually work quite well, because you can
9 > > trivially create a query that pulls this data out, and sorts it by package
10 > > category or maintainer or whatever you like ..
11 > >
12 > > Ok, let the flamewars begin ...
13 >
14 > There's no real problem with a package database, however, the real
15 > limitation is in the ebuild source format, which ultimately means any
16 > such database needs a lot of bash-sourcing hell to simply stay
17 > up-to-date ( any time an eclass changes, the interpretation of every
18 > ebuild that uses it also changes, necessitating some pretty fun(1) code )
19 >
20 > And that winds you up fighting with portage internals.
21 >
22 > So simply, in order for somebody like me to actually implement such a
23 > thing, a precursory step is to rewrite enough portage to do just that.
24 >
25 > But I haven't (yet) gotten around to that.
28 > 1: Not actually fun.
29
30 Doesn't https://packages.gentoo.org already have such a database?
31 Unfortunately a3li used Elasticsearch, which no one understands, but
32 it's a start.
35 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
36 Gentoo Linux Developer