From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: News item for removal of 2008.0 and old hardened profiles
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 23:33:57
1 On 05/03/2010 18:54, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Thursday 04 March 2010 11:08:52 Samuli Suominen wrote:
3 >
4 >> Attached you can find the news item for up coming profile cleanup.
5 >>
6 > do profiles really need to be culled this often ? we used to let the tail run
7 > longer and no one complained. it's easier to upgrade an old system when the
8 > current profile is sane than having to create one from scratch because the new
9 > profile uses features not actively available.
10 >
11 > i.e. let's set a limit of like 3 years on profiles
12 > -mike
15 I think I have mostly upgraded my machines, but I completely agree - I
16 sometimes let some old virtual machines sit unbooted for a year and then
17 suddenly want to use them and bring them up to date and occasionally
18 this can be a right old pain in the derrier...
19
20 Surely 4 months is too short a warning for profiles which can easily be
21 simply left to rot instead?