From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] rfc: openrc service script dependency checker
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 18:39:29
1 All,
2
3 we have a pull request on OpenRC for a dependency checker [1].
4
5 The author of this patch believes that we should not only scan for
6 circular deps, but break some of them automatically.
7
8 I, and several other team members I have spoken with on IRC, disagree
9 with this and think that we should just warn about the circular deps
10 since users can break them by modifying files in /etc/conf.d, and the
11 service script writers should be told about these kinds of issues so
12 they can determine whether they neeed to adjust the dependencies in
13 their scripts.
14
15 I wanted to post a question here to see what people think, so feel free
16 to comment.
17
18 My opinion is the less automatic adjustment we do the better.
19
20 Thanks,
21
22 William