From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Urgent reminder to port your packages to Python 3.8 and Python 3.9
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 13:51:49
1 > On 3 Mar 2021, at 22:55, Sam James <sam@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > We still have ~31 packages still not declaring support for newer Python 3 targets than Python 3.7,
6 > we have ~1085 packages still not declaring support for newer Python 3 targets than Python 3.8 (i.e.
7 > Python 3.9).
8
9 Thanks to everyone who ported in response!
10
11 > Please review this list to see if your packages are stuck on Python 3.7:
12 > http://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gpyutils/37-to-38.txt
13
14 We’re now on ~27.
17 > Please review this list to see if your packages are stuck on Python 3.8:
18 > http://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gpyutils/38-to-39.txt
19
20 We’re now on ~1012.
23 > This list contains maintainer names, so it’s easy to tell if you need to act.
24 >
25 > The default Python target in profiles was switched from Python 3.7 to Python 3.8
26 > at the beginning of December. A news item still needs to be created [0].
27 >
28 > Your package not supporting the latest targets makes it harder for other packages
29 > to do so. In particular, packages not supporting even the default target (now Python 3.8)
30 > means that users have a difficult time installing it.
31 >
32 > Previous warnings have been sent about this including in November [1]. mgorny sent
33 > this [2] RFC regarding an impeding switch of the default to Python 3.9 too.
34 >
35 > TL;DR:
36 > * Please port your packages to Python 3.8 (already default) and Python 3.9 ASAP.
37 > * Packages supporting Python 3 but not newer versions may be last-rited.
38 >
39 > [0] https://bugs.gentoo.org/771165
40 > [1] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/f1e452d0a54d5347d9f867478b2604c4
41 > [2] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/ba2fc4854ed6bb49813819ae6f5e9552