From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <tom.gl@××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 55
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 23:36:45
1 On 2008/06/10, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Currently we don't touch the ebuild's content *at all* for metadata
4 > operations, except where there's no or stale metadata cache (which is
5 > rare). We can get away with this currently because 0 and 1 have
6 > identical cache layouts and PMS has some (necessary) weasel wording;
7 > future EAPIs likely won't, so we're back to the chicken / egg problem.
8 >
9 > So... We either have the EAPI from the extension (which we already
10 > have, since we have to read the dir to know what versions are
11 > available), in which case we know how to read the metadata cache file.
12 > Or we have to open up a file that would otherwise not be opened, just
13 > to parse one line so we know how to read the cache file.
14
15 Or you apply to future EAPI's cache formats one of the solutions that
16 have been proposed for the ebuild side of the very same "chicken / egg
17 problem": for instance, you could use $EAPI as cache filename extension.
18
19 And that's it, you can get EAPI from the cache, hence no more extra
20 reading of ebuild files, and no more perfs issues.
21
22 It sounds so simple, am I missing something obvious?
25 TGL.
26 --
27 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list