From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Place of EAPI variable in ebuild
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 19:30:41
1 On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 21:21:30 +0200
2 Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Neither EAPI 0 nor EAPI 1 provide any mechanism for an ebuild to
4 > > 'die' at global scope. There's simply no way for eclasses to
5 > > complain that they're being misused.
6 >
7 > Well nothing formal but the ebuild developer should pick up ewarn/echo
8 > /whatever messages coming from global scope. That's what we have in
9 > debug.eclass atm.
10
11 Past experience has shown that those messages will end up being seen by
12 end users and not being picked up by developers. People changing
13 eclasses generally don't force a metadata generation for every package
14 that uses the eclass.
15
16 I suspect that for existing eclasses, the safest way to proceed is to
17 make a new eclass and move common code into a third eclass. So you'd
18 have foo.eclass doing EAPI 0 specific stuff and inheriting foo-common,
19 and foo-eapi1.eclass doing EAPI 1 specific stuff and inheriting
20 foo-common.
23 Ciaran McCreesh