From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: making sysvinit optional
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 16:43:52
1 On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 11:39:10AM -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 11:02 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 > > > Systemd already has IUSE=+sysv-utils which has a similar function:
4 > > > [- ] sysv-utils
5 > > > sys-apps/systemd: Install sysvinit compatibility symlinks and
6 > > > manpages for init, telinit, halt, poweroff, reboot, runlevel, and
7 > > > shutdown
8 > >
9 > > Actually, I like the name sysv-utils for this use flag; that seems to
10 > > describe better what it does.
11 > >
12 > > > RDEPEND="sysv-utils? ( !sys-apps/sysvinit )
13 > > > !sysv-utils? ( sys-apps/sysvinit )"
14 > >
15 > > I like this, but the second branch (!sysv-utils) is not really needed,
16 > > because if we put sysvinit as the first RDEPEND of virtual/init, we
17 > > don't need to worry about installing it through rdepend in openrc.
18 >
19 > To clarify why this strange looking dependency is there in
20 > sys-apps/systemd: I felt it was fairly important to always have init,
21 > shutdown, etc. available to avoid breaking other tools and to prevent
22 > confusion. systemd is technically usable without them, but you would
23 > need to explicitly set up your bootloader to add
24 > init=/lib/systemd/systemd to the kernel command line, and you would
25 > need to call systemctl directly instead of using the symlinks to shut
26 > the system down.
27
28 Hey Mike,
29
30 I just looked at the systemd ebuild a second time and see that that is
31 what you have, I missed it my first look, so I suppose that I should do
32 things in a similar way to what you are doing.
33
34 It would be worth discussing though, probably on another thread, the
35 merrits of virtual/init.
36
37 > Relying on any-of dependency ordering in a virtual package to
38 > accomplish this is a bit optimistic. That can go wrong easily if the
39 > user installs multiple providers.
40
41 Where it would break is if a user uses --depclean without paying
42 attention to what is happening on their system, but that can cause
43 unexpected breakages anyway, this is not a unique situation.
46 > > We can also add sys-apps/openrc as an rdepend of sys-apps/sysvinit possibly.
47 >
48 > Please do not do this without consulting me first. This could
49 > introduce a dependency conflict in sys-apps/systemd.
50
51 I see that it could, so this might be a separate topic.
52
53 William