From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2008/2009
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 16:13:32
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 09:45:53 +0200
5 Tiziano Müller <dev-zero@g.o> wrote:
6
7 > Roy Bamford wrote:
8 >
10 > > Hash: SHA1
11 > >
12 > > On 2008.06.05 01:00, ?ukasz Damentko wrote:
13 > >> Hi guys,
14 > >>
15 > >> Nominations for the Gentoo Council 2008/2009 are open now and will be
16 > >> open for the next two weeks (until 23:59 UTC, 18/06/2008).
17 > >
18 > > Team,
19 > >
20 > > I don't want to nominate anyone who hasn't been nominated already.
21 > > I would like to address all the candidates who have or will accept
22 > > council nominations.
23 > >
24 > > 1. Please tell us how/if you plan to fix GLEP 39. (You may not consider
25 > > it broken)
26 >
27 > a) A GLEP 39 is a "proposal" to do/implement something and should not be
28 > used as a way to finally document something. So, if we want to fix it, we
29 > should write down a new GLEP replacing GLEP 39 and then write that
30 > information down where it belongs to: in proj/en/council (and/or the
31 > developer handbook)
32 >
33 > b) Reading GLEP 1 you'll see that there are only two types of
34 > GLEPs: "Standards Track" and "Informational". One is for technical stuff
35 > and the other for organizational, but: "Informational GLEPs do not
36 > necessarily represent a Gentoo Linux community
37 > consensus or recommendation, so users and implementors are free to ignore
38 > Informational GLEPs or follow their advice."
39 >
40 > So we either have to stop using GLEPs for such kind of "rules/definitions"
41 > OR redefine how GLEPs should be used properly for changing organizational
42 > processes.
43 >
44 > We should finally stop doing cosmetic changes or we will forever struggle
45 > with outside people who know our rules better than we and as a result waste
46 > our time and energy and block our processes.
47 >
48 > Cheers,
49 > Tiziano
52 GLEP 39 is informational in that it describes council+policy. The
53 actual policy was established in 2005 in a vote by the developer
54 community. Thus, changes to the GLEP should be only to clarify actual
55 policy (and I don't know where it is written down. I remember the
56 vote, but don't know who controls the actual policy document). I
57 believe that policy changes would require another vote; GLEP 39
58 changes should not change policy. At least, that is my recollection and
59 understanding.
60 >
61 > --
62 > gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list
65 Regards,
66 Ferris
67 - --
68 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
69 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Devrel, Userrel, Trustees)