From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] devfs is dead, let's move on
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 22:50:55
1 Ok, now that devfs is removed from the 2.6 kernel tree[1], I think it's
2 time to start to revisit some of the /dev naming rules that we currently
3 are living with[2].
4
5 To start with, the 061 version of udev offers a big memory savings if
6 you use the "default" kernel name of a device[3]. If you do that, it does
7 not create a file in its database in /dev/.udevdb/
8
9 If we can move away from some of our devfs-like names, we stand to
10 reclaim a lot of memory from everyone's machines. As an example, if we
11 drop all of the tty/pts/vc/vcc symlinks, and just go with the default
12 kernel name, we save 2.5Mb of space in tempfs/ramfs. I've done this on
13 my machines and everything seems to work just fine (it looks like
14 everything that was trying to use a tty node was just using the symlink
15 anyway.)
16
17 So, anyone have any objections to me changing the default udev naming
18 scheme in this manner?
19
20 Next up, that loony block device naming scheme (more on that later...)
21
22 thanks,
23
24 greg k-h
25
26 [1] Yes, 2.6.13-rc1 does not offer devfs as a kernel option anymore, but
27 the code is still present if you know how to enable the option and
28 rebuild your kernel with it. I'll be working on killing it for good
29 by, at the latest, 2.6.14.
30
31 [2] devfs vs. udev flames will dutifully be ignored. Give up, it will do
32 You no good to argue.
33
34 [3] HAL needs a patch to be able to handle this. It's posted on the
35 hal development mailing lists and will be checked in real-soon-now.
36 --
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list