From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 07:51:36
1 On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 02:40, Brad Laue wrote:
2 > It's extremely wreckless to reject a project of such massive importance
3 > without having a plan first.
4 >
5 > I'm not sure if there's *any* output from Xouvert, and from what I'm
6 > told, xserver-freedesktop is not a marketable product, simply a proving
7 > ground for technologies that may or may not appear in an actual X
8 > server. Great. We're not going to be able to pull an alternative out of
9 > our hats as quickly as everyone thinks.
10 >
11 > As dire as the legal implications may be in including 4.4, somehow it
12 > still feels like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
13
14 Frankly, there is a plan. It hasn't been publicly announced in any
15 official way, since things aren't solid yet. Do you honestly think all
16 these people (pragmatic for the most part) would reject something if
17 there was no chance of a viable alternative?
18
19 Wait and see what happens. As Seemant likes to say, "Show me the code."
20 Well, the code and the plan aren't quite ready yet.
21
22 Thanks,
23 Donnie
24 --