From: Peter <pete4abw@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Signing everything, for fun and for profit
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 16:33:15
1 On Thu, 18 May 2006 23:45:17 +0200, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2
3 > Hello all,
4
5 snip...
6
7 I have a question about package Manifests. On reviewing portage, some
8 Manifests are signed by various GPG keys, and others are not signed at all!
9
10 I submitted something to Patrick off list (largely because I'm not a dev,
11 nor a great security expert) which uses a hash of all Manifest files as a
12 basis for portage validation. However, the signing of the Manifest files
13 themselves are inconsistent which poses a few problems.
14
15 Who signs the Manifests? Why are some unsigned? Is there a single Gentoo
16 Security Key (like I know Slackware has and some other distros to ensure
17 the authenticity of their files)?
18
19 TIA
22 Peter