From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Use GLEP27!
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 14:58:02
1 On 12/14/15 3:22 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > Dnia 13 grudnia 2015 21:41:02 CET, "Robin H. Johnson"
5 > <robbat2@g.o> napisał(a):
6 >>On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 09:03:51PM +0300, Alexey Shvetsov wrote:
7 >>> Hi all!
8 >>>
9 >>> We trying to use ldap for users @work, many of our workstations
10 >>running
11 >>> binary gentoo based distro called Calculate linux. However if we
12 >>wanna
13 >>> have wide use of ldap there is a need for determenistic system group
14 >>> gids names and user uids.
15 >>>
16 >>> Many ebuilds in tree uses enewgroup and enewuser with -1 (aka next
17 >>> available parameter)[1]. However it will be much better to set distro
18 >>
19 >>> wide deterministic uid and gid for system service name. So for
20 >>example
21 >>> ldap users may have determenistic groups like video, audio, plugdev,
22 >>> etc..
23 >>GLEP27 was approved for this, however it is barely used.
24 >>
25 >>Convert the rest of the tree to use it, and then you'll be done, aside
26 >>from the existing mess on user systems.
27 >
28 > As far as I can see, this GLEP predates EAPI and does not meet modern
29 > standards. It needs to be updated or killed with fire.
30 >
31 > For a start, relation to EAPI needs to be defined. This will likely
32 > require both profiles and ebuilds to use the new EAPI.
33 >
34 > Also, the contents of 'backwards compatibility' section are
35 > unacceptable. But that's probably going to be covered by EAPI.
36 >
37 > The spec itself is hard to follow, though the idea seems simple. It
38 > makes me wonder if we aren't missing something important there.
39 > --
40 > Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
43 Don't kill it. The best way forward would be to update it.
46 Doug Goldstein