From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Democracy: No silver bullet
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 19:59:22
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote: [Fri Aug 25 2006, 01:35:53PM CDT]
2 > See, you missed that we're talking with the idea of people belonging to
3 > a project. If you work on my project and quit, I'll know. If you go
4 > AWOL, I'll know. I can then simply ask Infra to remove your access. It
5 > really should be that simple.
6
7 Unless I'm missing something, for your vision to pan out we would need
8 a comprehensive project structure with every package and every aspect of
9 Gentoo development being part of a project that has an active and
10 competent lead. One of the things that doomed the previous management
11 system was the fact that project leads who are both competent _and_
12 active tend to be in short supply. (It's the _active_ part that really
13 tends to be the bigger problem. Real life does tend to interfere, and
14 at least in the past we have lacked a good way to efficiently replace
15 project leads who become less active.)
16
17 > If Infra is unable to do so due to being understaffed, then they
18 > should get more staff.
19
20 That's a bit like saying that if you can't afford something, you should
21 get more money. It's a true statement, but it somehow ignores the fact
22 that doing so may be difficult. *Shrug* The last time I asked infra
23 about this, Kurt told me that their retention rate for new folks is
24 extremely low due.
25
26 > There are countless projects out there, many with many more developers
27 > than Gentoo, that are capable of maintaining themselves quite well.
28 > Why are we so different?
29
30 Perhaps because we compartmentalize rather less than most? How
31 many people working on KDE are working on a broad swath of KDE? Yet
32 it is common for Gentoo devs to be part of several different projects
33 while maintaining packages all across the tree. Moreover, that's the
34 case not due to historical accident but to design: A gentoo dev w/ CVS
35 rights has the power to do (almost) anything. Originally that level
36 of flexibility was intended to allow a very small number of people to
37 reinforce each other, but even now it is something that sets Gentoo
38 apart. My guess is that it also makes Gentoo devs less willing
39 to pigeon-hole themselves into a rigid project structure, but I don't
40 really have any evidence of that.
41
42 -g2boojum-
43 --
44 Grant Goodyear
45 Gentoo Developer
46 g2boojum@g.o
47 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
48 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76