From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please port your packages to Python 3.8
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2020 17:23:19
1 > On 1 Sep 2020, at 12:02, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hello,
4 >
5 > [snip]
6
7 > Python 3.8 is planned to become the default on 2020-12-01.
10 Note that this means we need to keep in mind stabilisation of Python 3.8+ supporting-packages going forward.
11
12 Please request stabilisation of your Python 3.8+ changes at the 30 days point, or earlier if it’s a trivial revbump
13 (as new Python targets are equivalent to new USE flags, there is no real need for a revbump unless doing other tidying
14 whilst there).
15
16 Stabling Python 3.8 packages also makes things a bit easier for people who do testing of their packages on a stable system -
17 mostly thinking of proxy-maintainers or casual user contributions here.
18
19 I’m sure you’ve all already seen my annoying bugs to keep track of needed stabilisations; it will however be worth
20 it to ensure a smooth transition when the default changes.
21
22 The danger of insufficient stabled changes is users having to understand possibly complex Portage conflicts and add
23 large numbers of package.use exceptions on a temporary basis which is unnecessary confusion.
24
25 Again a reminder to add Python 3.9 whenever you can too.
26
27 > Thank you all for your hard work!
28 > --
29 > Best regards,