From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: New SYMLINK_LIB=no migration tool for review
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2017 19:08:11
1 Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 1:51 PM, Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
3 >> If this already was discussed then sorry for the noise:
4 >>
5 >> What is the rationale for merging lib32 with lib?
6 >> Wouldn't it be somewhat cleaner to have a completely
7 >> split structure
8 >>
9 >> lib64
10 >> lib32
11 >> libx32 (possibly)
12 >> lib
13 >
14 > Here are a couple of reasons:
15 >
16 > 1. Other distros (notably Red Hat and Fedora) put 32-bit libs in "lib".
17
18 According to bug 506276, Debian has instead merged 64-bit to lib.
19 So it seems to me that there is no "mainstream" to follow.
20 Perhaps striving for the cleanest solution would be the best?
21
22 > 2. The path to the 32-bit runtime linker (/lib/ld-linux.so.2) is
23 > hard-coded in every x86 binary on your system.
24
25 I am afraid that these must stay exceptional in any case:
26 Also currently, gentoo (and if I understood correctly, also Debian
27 and Red Hat) has the possible ld-linux{,-x86-64,-x32}.so.2 symlinks
28 in _all_ /lib* directories; I suppose that this is not intended to
29 change. (I assume that a change might break some proprietary binaries
30 which might have hard-coded the "wrong" directory.)