From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bug voting
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:16:29
1 Pardon to those who're on -core, since I fired it off to core when the
2 thread is in -dev :)
3
4 On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 12:04, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:54:49 -0400 Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
6 > wrote:
7 > | 1. Without bug voting, there's no way to determine what bugs are
8 most
9 > | important to the public (or at least to the people using Bugzilla,
10 > | which is really *our* public, in a working sense).
11 I'm not sure if users will use it sanely/sparingly, but this does seem
12 like a decent way to A) gain feedback on actual user priority, B) get
13 people to stop fooling w/ priorities, and posting semi-demanding
14 commentary asking asking why it is their their xyz feature they want
15 hasn't been implemented.
16
17 I like the notion of being able to gauge what is important to our users-
18 this option would likely be worthless for actual bugs, but enhancement
19 requests it would rock for.
20
21 > Well, given that most of our users don't seem to be able to get the
22 > priority field straight ("Waah! There's a tiny typo in an einfo
23 > statement! BLOCKER!"), I'd be kind of sceptical about an easily rigged
24 > popularity contest. I suspect we'd just end up seeing thousands of
25 votes
26 > for "add more pictures to bootsplash" and "add this horribly broken
27 > kernel patch to g-d-s"...
28 It's a feedback system, just that. What you're pointing out above w/
29 the priority is tied to a single user incorrectly estimating the level
30 of borkage, which is kind of odd anyways- the dev looking into the
31 problem probably is well aware of the severity of the bug.
32
33 Personally I've always wondered why general users could fiddle w/
34 priority settings.
35
36 Either way, back to the bug voting issues, keep in mind if we turn this
37 on, and it ends up being abused/not incredibly useful, we *can* just
38 turn the dumb thing off. Aside from time involved in setup (and
39 potentially disabling), there isn't a heck of a lot lost by trying.
40 Right?
41 ~brian