From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev-ng? (Was: Summary Council meeting Tuesday 13 November 2012)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 12:07:53
1 Wow, that's some kind of thread you started... :) I'll respond in
2 general to a bunch of stuff on this list by topic.
5 COUNCIL MEETING
6
7 On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 10:29 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
8 >
9 > So, that's a nice summary, but, what is the end result here?
12 Speaking as somebody who was there, but not for the council, the
13 summary was the end result OF THE COUNCIL MEETING.
14
15 The council was asked to set a deadline for everybody with a separate
16 /usr to adopt one of the proposed mitigation solutions, like using a
17 script, initramfs, or whatever. That is ALL that it was asked to
18 decide on, and that was all it did decide on. The whole business
19 about some devs wanting to fork udev came out about a day in advance,
20 and speaking personally it only had a little influence on my vote.
21
22 The reason I agree with chainsaw's proposal to defer the decision one
23 month was that there seemed to be enough blockers on this that nothing
24 was going to happen for almost another month anyway (best-case), and
25 getting people to move to initramfs or mdev or
26 [nu/eu]dev[-ng]/whatever wasn't actually going to be holding anything
27 up for a while. I'd also have been willing to approve a plan to set a
28 target for something like 90 days after all the necessary tools (like
29 genkernel) were stable and news was sent out. Based on my questions
30 for williamh I did not get the sense that delaying a month was
31 actually hindering the udev project (the established udev). They were
32 encouraged to continue working on their blockers, preparing news
33 items, and so on - everything but having a deadline/go-ahead to break
34 systems that didn't follow the news.
35
36 So, a bunch of ideas were floating around in the meeting, and I
37 embraced the wait a month option since that seemed to have the most
38 support of any of the options out there. If williamh had identified
39 some actual impact of delay on the udev team I'd have probably pushed
40 for setting the deadline now, but just putting it far enough out there
41 (90 days from genkernel/etc being ready) that all the various teams
42 would have a shot at it. If the udev team gets their news items all
43 worked out and perhaps even sent out (sans deadline) and all the
44 blockers cleared before the next meeting I'd be supportive of setting
45 the deadline around 60 days, but that would be just moral support
46 since I'm not on the council.
49 OFFICIAL UDEV PROJECT
50
51 I have nothing to do with the new udev project, but I did pass the
52 staff quiz with much help from calchan. :)
53
54 Read the GLEPs - any Gentoo developer can start a project at any time.
55 That's how things work around here. If I wanted to start a linux
56 kernel fork as an official Gentoo project I could do so tomorrow.
57
58 That doesn't mean that the new udev will become the default udev, any
59 more than Gentoo hardened will ever become the default experience for
60 new Gentoo users. Gentoo is about choice, and if we have devs
61 interested in maintaining something new then we'll offer that choice
62 to our users for as long as somebody takes care of it.
63
64 If anybody wants to change the defaults/etc, I'd expect that to get a
65 lot of discussion, and almost certainly a council vote.
68 COPYRIGHT
69
70 I think this issue is best dealt with on the side - it has no bearing
71 on any of the really contentious points here.
72
73 I note that the owners of the copyright on udev have announced to the
74 world that (emphasis mine):
75 You may modify your copy or copies of the Library or ANY PORTION OF
76 IT, thus forming a work based on the Library, and copy and distribute
77 such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above,
78 provided that you also meet all of these conditions...
79
80 None of those conditions included keeping the copyright line intact.
81
82 Anybody can therefore alter the copyright line as they wish, as they
83 have been given explicit permission to do so. They need only comply
84 with the other terms in the LGPL to do so (the most important being
85 licensing it under the LGPL and making the source available.
86
87 In fact, (L)GPL v3 has an optional attribution clause, and the fact
88 that they made this explicit is because some projects might not want
89 to give out this authorization.
90
91 So, if you want an official ruling from the trustees we would need to
92 meet/vote on it and perhaps discuss with counsel, but my thinking is
93 that anybody distributing work under the (L)GPL has waived their right
94 to be named on the copyright line of any copies distributed by others,
95 and as far as I can tell I have found nothing to the contrary from any
96 authoritative source. The only way I think you could argue that
97 removing copyright notices for a (L)GPL work is illegal is if you
98 argue that an author doesn't have the legal power to license that
99 right to another. However, I'd still think that promissory estoppel
100 would probably interfere with any kind of recourse - you can't give
101 somebody permission to do something, and then sue them for actually
102 doing it. So, legal or not anybody with standing to sue over this has
103 likely given up their rights to do so.
104
105 Again, that's my two cents and not a license for anybody to do
106 anything. This topic did come up recently with regard to accepting
107 some other kind of outside work into Gentoo, and as I recall there was
108 some debate over whether the copyright notices could be changed. I'd
109 have to dig up the details - I think the issue might have been mooted
110 before any kind of formal decision was reached...
113 IS THE NEW UDEV A GOOD/BAD/UGLY IDEA
114
115 Seems like this is the main point of this whole thread, and I don't
116 find it terribly useful to harp on. If people want to start a udev
117 fork more power to them. I'm supportive of that, just as I'm
118 supportive of having systemd in the tree and unit files for as many
119 packages as possible. As projects mature I'd be all for offering them
120 as options in the handbook. Gentoo is about choice.
121
122 Ditto for a /usr move or whatever else. I think we should have a
123 reasonable default behavior, and as others have pointed out we could
124 use profiles to control a bunch of these behaviors globally (like
125 library install location, and so on). Again, offer the user the
126 choice, and generally be conservative with the defaults.
127
128 Will all these projects go the distance? Hard to say. I agree that
129 projects inspired by "hate" or whatever often fizzle out, but several
130 high profile forks have stuck around - usually because of conflict
131 over the major goals of the project. The next few years should be
132 interesting, as the amount of vertical integration seems to be
133 creeping up, and if a major Gnome release is systemd-only or whatever
134 that could really bring things to a head. This almost seems like an
135 androidification of the traditional linux distro - where choice still
136 exists but the ability to swap out layers starts to go away unless you
137 stick with a lighter desktop environment. Should make things fun for
138 the toolkit developers when a system might or might not have
139 dbus/systemd/udev/X11/wayland/linux/bsd and who knows what else.
142 Rich