From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Possibility of overriding user defined INSTALL_MASK from an ebuild?
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 01:32:26
1 On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 07:09:08PM -0600, Steev Klimaszewski wrote:
2 > I'm not exactly a fan of systemd, though I know it has some uses, and
3 > I'm still curious as to why it installs/stores *configuration* data
4 > in /lib - if only from an upgrade point of view, we back up /etc, we
5 > back up /home - now we need to back up /lib, /usr/lib, /var, or whatever
6 > some random upstream decides is a good place to store configuration
7 > information!?
8
9 Consider it default configuration information. Basically what they are
10 doing is, say you have a default udev rules file in
11 /lib/udev/rules.d/10-foobar.rules, which is provided by some package.
12
13 Now you want to override that default.
14
15 You override in /etc/udev/rules.d/10-foobar.rules instead of editing the
16 provided file.
17
18 William