From: Curtis Napier <curtis119@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Masking practics
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 06:35:09
2 Hash: MD5
3
4 Enrico Weigelt wrote:
5 > * Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o> schrieb:
6 >
7 > <snip>
8 >
9 >> [ebuild UD] sys-apps/coreutils-5.2.1-r7 [5.94-r1] USE="-acl -build
10 >> -nls -static" 0 kB
11 >>
12 >> Total size of downloads: 0 kB
13 >>
14 >> See the little "D"?
15 >>
16 >> It's not big, it's not fat, but it's warning you. :)
17 >
18 > Not actually an eye-catching.
19 >
20 > To be fair, do *you* actually look through *all* the emerge
21 > output if there's any "D" flag, without the risk of overlooking
22 > it someday ?
23
24 Yes. I look at the entire output of emerge -pv *EVERY* single time. Not
25 doing so would be insane and I would get what I deserve... a broken system.
28 > Why can't emerge shout out some more verbose text ? Something
29 > really eye-catching ?
32 How much more eye-catching does it need to be? It's color coded in a
33 column along the left hand side of the screen in a nice format that is
34 easily parse-able and grep-able. You don't even have to scan left to
35 right when reading it!
36
37 It's obvious to me that you haven't been a long time Gentoo user. All of
38 the issues you have brought up in the several different threads are all
39 mistakes that n00bs make when changing their Linux Admin paradigm to the
40 Gentoo Way(tm).
41
42 We see a thousand questions a year just like yours in the forums from
43 new Gentoo users. Every single one of those users comes back in a few
44 months and recants once they get a good understanding of what they are
45 doing and how powerful Gentoo actually is.
46
47 Once you use it for a while you will find that the current system (USE,
48 SLOTs, etc...) is *extremely* powerful and flexible from just about any
49 POV. No binary distro can beat it.
50
51 - --Curtis
64 --