From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: System Recovery - New Core Functionality request...
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 12:21:52
1 On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 08:04, Charles Marcus wrote:
2 > To Chris, John and Sami... that is great news! I was really hoping it
3 > wouldn't be too difficult *and* someone else would see the value in this
4 > capability. I had read some about Catalyst, but hadn't considered it as
5 > the tool - but it sounds perfect!
6
7 I pretty much see it as a shall script that asks a few questions, then
8 runs catalyst with the proper options. I would figure that the running
9 system would be the base for the livecd-stage1 portion. The answers
10 from your questions would be what is taken to build the livecd-stage1
11 file system. We would have to do some voodoo in livecd-stage2, but that
12 shouldn't be too much of a problem. Once we got the output of the .iso,
13 we could even call a program (cdrecord?) to burn it to CD/DVD, though I
14 would prefer that an ISO is simply created and leave it up to the user
15 to burn the CD. If only because of the possibility of the backup not
16 fitting on a single CD.
17
18 > I am in no big hurry, so am willing to wait, as long as I know it is
19 > being worked on... also, I am *more* than happy to donate to show my
20 > appreciation (I was willing to try to find someone to pay to code it up
21 > myself anyway) - so, where do I send the funds? :)
22
23 I'll be honest. I'm not really sure right now. Since we are in the
24 transition from the old FP Gentoo Technologies to the new NFP Gentoo
25 Foundation, I'm not sure if the Paypal donations link has been updated.
26 However, that would be where you would donate to.
29 Chris Gianelloni
30 Release Engineering QA Manager/Games Developer
31 Gentoo Linux
32
33 Is your power animal a penguin?