From: Paul Arthur <flowerysong00@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: openrc: oldnet vs newnet
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 18:00:41
1 On 2010-09-20, Michał Górny <gentoo@××××××××××.pl> wrote:
2 > --Sig_/_5ZtNmvcA5/1kN/vUZv3UxF
3 > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
4 > Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
5 >
6 > On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 11:16:08 -0500
7 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
8 >
9 >> The drawback I see for newnet is that it does not allow the user to
10 >> control each interface separately, so if you want to cycle one
11 >> interface for some reason, this is not doable in that setup. I agree
12 >> this is a serious drawback. Oldnet addresses this by having a
13 >> separate script for each interface.
14 >
15 > That's not entirely true. If you use DHCP indeed,
16
17 We don't. So it is entirely true. newnet does not provide a way to
18 cycle a single interface; you can work around that by going outside of
19 newnet, which is fairly simple if you're using dhcp, less so if you're
20 not, but that's not the same as newnet having the support.
23 Schapiro's Explanation:
24 The grass is always greener on the other side -- but that's
25 because they use more manure.