From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new guides
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 00:28:15
1 On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 07:50:15AM +0200, Achim Gottinger wrote:
2
3 > I think it is generally a good idea to add configure to the patch, because it
4 > is a bit confusing that the configure in work exists but does not work. So
5 > eigther it must be removed if configure.in gets modified or added to the
6 > patch.
7
8 I agree with your suggestion. Sorry, I should have made that more clear in the
9 previous email.
10
11 > > Though I'll agree, it would be nice to have a Perl-free system (drobbins hides)
12 >
13 > Unfortunately xfree requires perl, so it whould be a xfree free system
14 > too.
15
16 > BTW: It whould be nice to have a python free runtime system too (nothing
17 > personal this time, so no need to run or hide :-)). This is impossible at
18 > the moment because of the env-update thing. It might be required on embedded
19 > platforms where disc space is rare (spython ~5MB). I suggest recode
20 > env-update in bash or c.
21
22 Well, pkgmerge, ebuild and emerge are in python right now too. I don't have a problem
23 if people want to start converting the more stable code to C++. A good start would be
24 env-update and the .tbz2 functions (/usr/lib/python2.0/xpak.py). Since we're moving to
25 an object framework, I think that C++ would be a better fit than C.
26
27 If anyone is interested in doing this, please contact me first. Then I'll carefully
28 coordinate my work in python with yours.
29
30 Best Regards,
33 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
34 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org