From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Signing everything, for fun and for profit
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 23:51:59
1 On Thu, 18 May 2006 23:45:17 +0200
2 Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Note: a possible defense against rogue devs would be multi-signing,
5
6 I don't think it's worth trying to defend against rogue devs. We have
7 to have some level of trust amongst devs; anyone abusing that trust
8 will be ejected sooner or later and any breakage will be fixed.
11 On key management - I wouldn't get too excited about gold standard key
12 management. Using the "web of trust" seems good enough to me. The
13 default chain depth of 5 seems enough to reach around the globe.
14 Publish the top-level public key(s) and fingerprint(s) on the web
15 server, have the secret keys held by infra, revocation certificates by
16 infra and council. Anyone not wishing to trust the web server can
17 locate a nearby dev whose identity they can trust with a chain back
18 to the top and obtain the public key from that dev. Perhaps we
19 could take a more proactive approach to getting devs keys onto the
20 chain.
23 I wanted to mention the currently un-signed portions of the tree.
24 I'm sure we've discussed this before although I couldn't find it.
25
26 Unsigned bits of the rsync tree are:
27
28 eclass
29 licenses
30 metadata
31 profiles
32 header.txt
33 scripts
34 skel.*
35
36 obviously header.txt and skel.* aren't important. scripts isn't too
37 important either, although a manifest-style file in there wouldn't be
38 difficult. licenses and metadata don't have any security impact so
39 there's little point there, also.
40
41 do profiles present a security risk? Perhaps by masking/unmasking
42 fixed/vulnerable versions of packages. Here, a Manifest in each
43 directory seems most sensible (it might be useful to move the global
44 data around a bit; fex move *desc into the desc subdirectory).
45
46 eclass - not so easy. A per-eclass detached signature would clutter
47 the directoryup too much, doubling the file count. A single Manifest
48 for the whole directory could be awkward if enough eclass editing goes
49 on simultaneously, but it might be workable. I think that's where the
50 last discussion ended up - a single manifest for the whole eclass
51 directory. If GLEP33 ever gets implemented, this issue is obvious as
52 each subdirectory would have its own manifest.
53
54 Obviously the best way to add this sort of thing is to add support to
55 repoman, which has been mentioned before for profiles at least, for QA.
58 Kevin F. Quinn