From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: scarab <jacques@××××××××.za>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage/emerge problem... and thanks
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 05:40:12
1 begin quote
2 On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 11:35:31 +0000
3 scarab <jacques@××××××××.za> wrote:
4
5 > greetings from south africa!
6 >
7 > before i begin, i yould just like to add that gentoo, i feel, is the
8 > greatest thing to hit linux-land. i'm going to deploy it all over our
9 > current server farm, to say it mildly, it rocks!
10 >
11 > my problem... i can solve by compiling the package myself, but i would
12 >
13 > just like to know, if poossible, what is causing the problem.
14 >
15 > i have a brand new install of gentoo 1.2. i've just rsync'd the
16 > lastest portage tree. when i run "emerge mozilla", i get the following
17 > message...
18 >
19 > "calculating dependencies.."
20 > "!!! Error: couldn't find match for : in net-www/mozilla-1.0-r3"
23 > if i look in /usr/portage/net-www/mozilla... i find
24 > mozilla-1.0-r3.ebuild.... which looks authentic. i've tried copying
25 > across the mozilla directory across froma machine that emerge'd it's
26 > mozilla perfectly, without any success.
27 >
28 > any ideas??
32 oh yes, the problem is the package "portage" that appears to be
33 slightly out of date and doesnt handle the new syntax.
34 please run "emerge rsync; emerge portage; " and you will have a breeze
35 in installing mozilla :)
36
37 //Spider
41 begin .signature
42 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
44 end