From: Alexander Gretencord <arutha@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE flags and static libs
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2002 10:00:47
1 On Saturday 08 June 2002 15:16, Alexander Holler wrote:
2 > I've mentioned it before as a remark in another msg, I would find it nice
3 > to have a USE flag tests mentioned in the documentation. This could inspire
4 > some developers to call 'make tests' or similiar before installing if
5 > something is provided by the makefile of the package.
6
7 I think if there is a "make test" target like there is for things like
8 postgres. The postgres ebuild unfortunately does not run "make test".
9
10 The user can specify any CFLAGS he likes in make.conf and the postgres ebuild
11 will happily take them. But it has happened to me that "make test" broke
12 (giving times like 11:59:60 instead of 12:00:00). This would not be detected
13 by the ebuild and the user might later on experience problems without having
14 a clue about what happens. If postgres has this test target to make sure
15 everything works, I think the ebuild should run it. Especially for the gentoo
16 server distribution this has to be done!
17
18 Alex
21 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
22 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
23 Benjamin Franklin