From: Dan Meltzer <parallelgrapefruit@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Resignation (was: Project Sunrise resumed)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 02:31:19
1 On 7/30/06, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sunday 30 July 2006 18:07, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 > > Personally I'd expect the council to block the thing permanently.
4 >
5 > hard to address any sort of concerns here, so i guess i'll just regurgitate
6 > the council log to you
7 >
8 > it's hard for users to get involved in our development process ... i imagine
9 > some consider that a feature, but it leaves a large portion of our community
10 > out in the cold
11
12 I do not see why it is considdered hard for users to "get involved".
13 Users have at least two choices that I can think of right now, and
14 probably a number that I cannot think of.
15
16 1) Users can submit patches/ideas to bugs.g.o at whatever frequency
17 they desire, contributing to gentoo casually.
18
19 2) Users can take the quizzes and become a developer, I do not see why
20 two quizzes is considdered an insurmountable task, the quizzes are
21 specifically designed to ensure that people writing ebuilds understand
22 what ebuilds can contain and what they cannot, I could not imagine a
23 user wanting to install a package from an ebuild written by someone
24 that does not know this.
27 > sunrise is attempting to fill that gap via some controversial methods ... in
28 > review, we deemed that the many concerns raised were pretty much addressed
29 > and any more requests for criticism and useful critiques either went
30 > unanswered or people piped up saying that they were happy with the latest
31 > state
32 >
33 > i (nor anyone else) cannot say whether this venture will succeed, only time
34 > will prove out the project ... sitting around and clamoring for more openness
35 > while killing every attempt at it gets us nowhere
36 >
37 > we take a risk with this project (like every single other project) ... if
38 > sunrise turns out to suck and cause problems, then we kill it, no big deal
39 > -mike
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list